The Virgin Islands Board of Education established four (4) standing committees to oversee the duties of the Board:
- Policies, Rules and Regulations
- School Plants and Facilities
- Public/Private Liaison
- Professional Staff Certification & Higher Education
All standing committees meet at regular intervals. Furthermore, the Board has an Executive Committee comprised of the Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson and Secretary.
The responsibilities of each standing committee is as follows:
Policies, Rules and Regulations
- Researches and writes all school policies
- Drafts policies for committee’s review, public comment and full Board approval
- Committee Members: Winona A. Hendricks (Chair), Judy Gomez, Esq., James Provost, Martial Webster, Esq.
School Plants and Facilities Committee
- Oversees all Department of Education buildings inclusive of all schools and administrative office buildings in the Territory
- Conducts regular site visits to provide recommendations for repairs and improvements.
- Committee Members: Jeanette Smith-Barry (Chair), Kyza A. Callwood, MPA, Terrence T. Joseph, Mary L. Moorhead
- Identifies strategies to engage the community and education stakeholders in the Board’s programs
- Forms partnerships with the private sector to promote the goals and visions of the board through activities such as radio appearances and town hall meetings
- Committee Members:James Provost (Chair),
Professional Staff Certification & Higher Education
- Reviews the credentials of professional staff to ensure each candidate is qualified for certification in accordance to the Board’s policies
- Sponsors courses and workshops that provide materials for professional staff applicants seeking certification
- Committee Members: Kyza A. Callwood, MPA, (Chair), James Provost, Jeanette Smith-Barry, Martial Webster