What We Do
The Virgin Islands Board of Education (VIBE) is a separate entity from the Virgin Islands Department of Education (VIDE). VIBE’s core purpose and focus is to promote the transformation of the existing public education structure through the following initiatives:
- Governance over the Public Education System
- Improved student-parent-teacher relationships
- Comprehensive community engagement
- Standards that promote high academic achievement
- Creation of an environment conducive to effective communication
- Enhanced quality of professional development for all staff
- Provision of adequate resources to achieve our vision, goals and objectives
Additionally, the VIBE provides financial assistance to Virgin Islanders committed to advancing their education, certifies teachers and other education professionals and governs the education standards and policies of Virgin Islands Public Schools.
In comparison, as an executive branch of the Government of the Virgin Islands of the United States, the Virgin Islands Department of Education serves as the authority that exercises general control over the enforcement of laws relating to free public education in the Virgin Islands. Its responsibilities include the development, implementation and monitoring of instructional programs for all K-12 students and adult learners. Additionally, they provide support services that include child nutrition, pupil transportation, library services and the maintenance of educational facilities and offices under its purview.