- Recommending the Establishment of Public Schools
- Prescribing General Regulations and Orders regarding education and board operations
- Recommending laws and amendments to Legislature
- Cooperating with U.S. Department of Education and administration of federal laws related to general education and approve plans for same.
- Recommending to Legislature Appropriations for public schools and Education
- Issuing certificates licensing holders to teach in public schools
The most important responsibility of VIBE is to work with our communities to improve student achievement in Virgin Islands public schools. The VIBE’s authority and jurisdiction are guided by the Virgin Islands Code. The VIBE establishes policies and regulations by which the Virgin Islands public schools are governed.
The VI Board of Education is comprised of elected individuals who are to be leaders and champions for public education in the US Virgin Islands.